Breaded deep fried chicken wings are on the menu today. It’s another simple classic that pretty much everyone loves, kids included. There are many recipes out there that you can try, but I want to show you the very basic one, without any special tweaks, tricks or special ingredients. Sometimes it’s better to keep it simple and I don’t think it gets any easier than this.
I’m using the standard deep/pan frying method… using vegetable oil. You can definitely use an air fryer too, or even bake the breaded wings in the oven. To be honest, oil fried ones taste the best, even though it’s the least healthy method. But the choice is yours 🙂
More chicken recipes
Sheet pan chicken legs with veggies and potatoes.
Marinated chicken wings on the grill.
Easy grilled chicken gyros.
Baked chicken thighs with gravy.
Marinated chicken wings with potatoes.
Air fryer fried chicken from Laura.
Breaded Chicken Wings Ingredients:
15 chicken wings
1 cup flour (all purpose)
1 cup cornstarch
2 cups breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon red paprika
salt & pepper to taste
vegetable oil for frying
How To Make Breaded Deep Fried Chicken Wings
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
Let’s prepare the chicken wings first. We need 3 or 4 wings per person, I’m working with about 15 today. I have already removed the tips and now it’s time to divide the remaining parts in two pieces. This way, the wings will be easier to work with, especially when it comes to the breading process. Simply cut through the joint. It goes really easily, you just have to hit the right spot.
Now it’s time to season our chicken wings. Start with 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder, a generous amount of salt and black pepper. Finish it up with a teaspoon of red paprika.
TIP: Feel free to add a bit of chili flakes or some spicy sauce at this point, it really takes the breaded chicken wings to a new level. I cannot do this, since my wife hates spicy food 🙂
Use your hands to mix everything up to distribute the seasonings, it will take just about a minute. The red paprika will help us as a marker, once every piece is red from all sides, you know you mixed well.
The next step is to prepare the breading ingredients. I’m using all purpose flour mixed with corn starch at a 1 to 1 ratio. This way, the breading layer will be more crispy. We will need about 3 eggs for this amount of breaded chicken wings. Season with salt and pepper and beat them properly.
Now coat each piece with the flour and starch mixture… then dip it in the beaten eggs… and finish it up with plain breadcrumbs. Since both the wings and eggs are seasoned already, there is no need to season the breadcrumbs anymore. Repeat the process until all of our chicken wings are breaded and ready to fry. And that’s it, our breaded wings are ready for frying.
TIP: Don’t go too heavy with the flour and breadcrumbs, coat the wings just lightly. Otherwise, you will end up with a thick breading layer that will kind of kill the flavor of the chicken wings alone.
It’s time to fry the chicken wings now. Heat up a nice amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan, medium high temperature is perfect. Do not crowd the pan too much, we want to leave some space between the pieces so the edges can fry nicely too.
Fry until the bottom part turns golden brown, then flip all the pieces. I flip each piece twice and also move them around the pan while doing so, as the oil is always the hottest in the center. This way, you will make sure all the wings are evenly cooked.
Place the finished chicken wings on a paper towel, to get rid of the excess fat and continue with the second batch. Once all the breaded wings are perfectly fried, it’s time to serve.
You can serve these breaded chicken wings with a range of sides, my choice for today are french fries and a simple coleslaw salad.
And that’s it, thanks for watching. Did you like this recipe? Please subscribe to my Cooking YouTube channel to stay informed when I upload a new one. See you next time.
Optional Tips For This Recipe:
- These breaded chicken wings can be prepared in an airfryer or directly in a standard oven, but honestly, deep fried in oil taste the best.
- Want to use something else as the side? Try baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, rice or just toasted bread.
- Not a fan of plain breadcrumbs? You can use seasoned ones or Panko as well.
- You can use the same recipe for making breaded chicken drumsticks. The only thing to change is the frying time and temperature. Since the drumsticks are bigger/thicker, we need to fry on medium heat and double the frying time.
- In case you don’t have cornstarch at hand, rice flour is a good substitute.
- Do you like spicy food? Try this hot honey recipe and dip the wings in it.
Breaded Deep Fried Chicken Wings
- 15 chicken wings
- 1 cup flour all purpose
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3-4 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- Remove the tips from the chicken wings, then cut the remaining parts in two pieces.
- Season the pieces with olive oil, garlic powder, red paprika, salt and pepper. Mix everything up until all pieces are “red” from the paprika.
- Mix all purpose flour with cornstarch at 1:1 ratio.
- Beat 3 eggs, season with salt and pepper.
- Bread all the chicken wings, start with flour, then eggs and breadcrumbs at the end.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a frying pan to medium high heat.
- Fry the chicken wings until golden brown from both sides. Flip twice during the process and move them around the pan to achieve an even cook.
- Serve with French fries and coleslaw. For alternative sides, check the optional tips above.