This canned tuna and cheese spread is the most favorite of my kids. They love to eat it for breakfast, dinner or just whenever they feel somewhat hungry. It’s so simple to make that even my youngest son can prepare it, I just open the cans for him so he doesn’t cut himself. And the best part… it takes just a few minutes to prepare.
Cheese based spreads are also the perfect last-resort solution when you get unexpected guests. Most of the ingredients are always available in any household and if you miss something, it’s easy to substitute.
Not a fan of canned tuna? No problem, I just posted 2 more simple cheese spread recipes. One is the “Greek feta cheese spread” and the second one would be an “Egg and Cheese spread”. I’m sure you will love both.
Canned Tuna Spread Ingredients
2-3 cans of tuna
1-2 tablespoons of mild mustard
2 tablespoons of ketchup
1 medium sized shallot
100g (3.5oz) of mild spreadable cheese
100g (3.5oz) of melted butter
salt and black pepper to taste
How To Make Canned Tuna Spread
This canned tuna spread is extremely easy to prepare, again. All you need to do is finely chop the shallot and melt the butter so it is easier to incorporate. The next step is to mix all the ingredients. I recommend using a fork and mixing by hand, but you can also use a blender.
This way, the spread will be softer and have a dip-like consistency. To be honest, I do prefer when I feel the crunchy onion pieces in any spread I prepare, but the choice is yours.
TIP: Discard about half of the oil from the tuna cans and use the other half for the spread. Using a “springwater or brine” tuna can? Add a tablespoon of olive oil into the mixture.
Once the spread is finished, let it sit in the fridge for a few minutes, for the butter to set and tighten again. The spread is best served on toasted bread or baguette, along with a selection of your favorite veggies.
Looking for video instructions? Here you go 🙂
- You don’t have to follow the measurements to the last bit! You might want to add a bit more mustard or ketchup, maybe more salt or pepper too.
- I’m using tuna chunks canned in olive oil, but you can use a different type too. The better the tuna, the better the results though.
- Love it spicy? Add some finely chopped fresh chili peppers.
That’s it! Enjoy.
Canned Tuna And Cheese Spread
- 2-3 cans of tuna
- 1-2 tablespoons of mild mustard
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 medium sized shallot
- 100 g of mild spreadable cheese
- 100 g of melted butter
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Finely chop the shallot or onion.
- Melt the butter, so it's easier to incorporate.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Let the spread cool in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve on bread, toast or baguette.