This Carrot and Apple Salad used to be a classic in our home and we all loved it, kids and adults all alike. It goes really well with any meat-based dish, but we would also eat it “alone” when there was some left after the lunch.
All the parents know this: healthy food and kids somehow don’t go together that well 🙂 Candy, soda, chocolate… that disappears quickly, but how about some veggies or fruits? Try this classic salad, it’s sweet, juicy and the lime gives it a very nice sour kick that makes it even more fresh and tasty. Your kids will love it, mine certainly do!
Our Carrot & Apple Salad requires no cooking, just grate the ingredients and mix them… done in 15 minutes. Can’t get any easier, honestly.
TIP: Use organic carrots and apples, if possible. The taste is simply better, carrots are sweeter and the apples are juicier. No added chemicals are a nice bonus as well. And since we’re not gonna use a ton of them, it won’t break your bank to buy the more pricey organic produce.
Carrot and Apple Classic Salad Ingredients :
5 medium sized carrots
3 larger apples
1 standard lime
2 tablespoons of honey
a few tablespoons of water to dissolve the honey in
TIP: Carrots and Apples should be approximately 1:1 in weight.
How to make the Carrot Apple salad :
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
1. Start by washing and peeling the carrots and apples. You don’t want to leave the apple skin on, unless you want to hear maaaany complaints from your kids 🙂
2. Shred the carrots and apples on a grater. I used the more “thicker” side of my box grater, but you can opt in for the finer cut too. The results would be pretty much the same, I just prefer more texture in this particular salad.
3. Add 4-5 tablespoon of water into a cup and mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey. Add more honey and/or water if you want the salad to be more juicy and/or sweet.
4. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the same cup and mix it all well to combine. Don’t worry about the lime pulp, it will mix nicely with all the other ingredients.
5. Now to the final step, all we need to do is mix all of our ingredients together in a large bowl, including the honey & lime “dressing”.
TIP: Don’t forget to do a taste test before serving! Not sweet enough? Mix some more honey with a tablespoon of water and add it in. Want to add more of that lime sourness? Feel free to add more lime juice. Always go for a taste that YOU like the most!
And we are DONE! Serve in cups or smaller sized bowls.
This is the basic version of our favorite Carrot and Apple Salad, you can definitely do some tweaks to make it better and unique. Your fantasy is the only limit!
- I used the Gala apples, feel free to use any other variety. When using very sour types, add more honey.
- Can’t use honey for whatever reason? Sugar works just as fine, brown or white.
- Add a bit of ground cinnamon to reach a specific, festive taste and smell.
- Feel free to add a bunch of dried raisins or cranberries. Soak them in water in advance.
- Fancy some other fruit type? Sweet pears can work just as fine.
That’s it, simple, tasty, comes together in a few minutes. Have you tried this recipe or maybe just wanted to add something? Let me know in the comments!
Carrot and Apple Salad
- 300 g carrots
- 300 g apples
- 1 standard lime
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- a few tablespoons of water to dissolve the honey in
- Start by washing and peeling the carrots and apples.
- Shred the carrots and apples on a grater.
- Add 4-5 tablespoon of water into a cup and mix it with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the same cup and mix it all well to combine.
- Mix all of our ingredients together in a large bowl, including the honey & lime “dressing”.
- DONE! Serve in smaller sized cups or bowls.