Cheesy baked pork chops were one of the first dishes I ever cooked and I would still prepare them from time to time. It’s quite a retro classic to be honest. There is nothing innovative or special about this recipe, but I still kind of love it… maybe it’s the memories 🙂
The thing is, even though I love cooking, sometimes I just don’t feel like experimenting at all. And whenever I feel this way, recipes like this one come in really handy. My cheese baked pork chops are kid level easy to prepare and taste simply amazing. I’m serving these with mashed potatoes, but rice would be a great option too.
My default cut of meat for this recipe is pork loin, but you might also use pork shoulder, pork neck/collar etc. I’d recommend a boneless cut for this recipe, since we are about to pound it with a mallet.
TIP: Want to try some other “baked meat” recipes? Check my Baked chicken thighs, Sheet pan chicken, Sauerkraut chicken legs or Baked pork neck.
Now let’s start cooking.
Baked Pork Chops Ingredients:
1kg (2lbs) pork loin
100g (3.5oz) bacon
2 medium sized onions
1 cup sour cream
1.5kg (3lb) potatoes
12 slices cheese (Gouda, Cheddar…)
100g (3.5oz) butter
1 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste
How To Make Cheesy Baked Pork Chops
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
1. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve decided to use mashed potatoes as the side for the pork chops. Start by boiling the potatoes in salted water, so they are easy to mash later on. The amount depends on how many people you are cooking for, I needed about 1.5kg (3 lbs). Cut the potatoes into cubes and boil them for 30-40 minutes, or until fall-apart tender.
2. I have already prepared 6 slices of pork loin, about 1.5 centimeters or 3/4 inch thick. You can use thicker ones if you wish and you can also prepare more, if you have a bigger sheet pan than I do 🙂 We need to season all of them with salt and black pepper, from both sides.
3. Now put a generous amount of breadcrumbs on top of the pork chops, cover them with foil and use a meat mallet to pound them into the meat. Flip the chops and repeat the process on the other side too.
4. We need some more flavors added to make our pork chops better, so let’s move to the next step. Finely dice about 100 grams or 3.5 ounces of bacon and 2 smaller onions. Now sautee these on a pan for a few minutes, until they start catching some nice color.
5. Grease a sheet pan with olive oil and place our pork chops on it. Add a tablespoon or two of the bacon-onion mixture on top of every piece and spread it out evenly.
6. Whisk a cup of sour cream so it becomes creamy, then add about two tablespoons on top of every pork chop and again, spread it evenly.
7. Finely slice a large tomato and add two slices on top of every pork chop.
8. Add some more pepper and top it all with your favorite cheese. I’ve used Gouda and Cheddar, 2 slices per piece of pork.
9. Cover the sheet pan with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. I’ve pre-heated it to 200C or 400F.
10. Let’s make mashed potatoes now. Add butter while the potatoes are still hot and mix it in. You will need about 100-150g (3.5-5 oz) for this amount of potatoes.
11. Start adding warm milk now, but not all at once please. You can always add more but it’s impossible to remove any. I’ve used about a cup, but feel free to adjust the amount to reach the consistency you like. Don’t forget to add a good amount of salt to taste. Use a hand mixer if you have one, to make sure there are no lumps.
12. Once the pork chops have been baking for about 45 minutes, remove the foil and let them broil for about 10-15 more minutes.
13. And we are ready to serve. Make a base from the mashed potatoes, place one baked pork chop on top of it and add some of those tasty drippings from the sheet pan too.
Thanks for reading and please let me know how you liked this recipe in the comments!
Optional Tips For This Recipe:
- I’ve used Gouda and Cheddar cheese, but you can use your favorite type. Just choose some that melts well.
- Pork loin is probably the best cut for this pork chops recipe, but you can use other types of pork too. Shoulder, neck/collar, ham… all work fine.
- You can use rice instead of mashed potatoes, there are quite a lot of delicious drippings left in the sheet pan. Baked potatoes would work great too.
- I prefer to keep the seasonings really simple for this pork chops recipe, basically just salt and pepper. But you can definitely spice it up if you prefer… add some herbs or even something spicy.
Cheesy Baked Pork Chops
- 1 kg pork loin
- 100 g bacon
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 tomatoes
- plain breadcrumbs
- 1.5 kg potatoes
- 12 slices cheese Gouda, Cheddar…
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- I'm using mashed potatoes as the side, so start by boiling cubed potatoes. Cook until soft.
- Cut about 1kg (2 pounds) of pork loin into six 1-1.5 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices.
- Season with salt and pepper from both sides. Cover each piece with breadcrumbs, then use a meat mallet to pound them into the meat.
- Finely chop 2 onions and about 100g (3.5oz) of bacon and saute on oil for about 5 minutes.
- Grease a sheet pan with olive oil, then place the pork chops on it. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon/onion mixture on each piece and spread it out evenly.
- Whisk a cup of sour cream to make it creamy, then add a tablespoon or two on every pork chop and spread it evenly. Add some more pepper too.
- Add two slices of a tomato on every piece of meat and cover it with your favorite cheese.
- Cover the sheet with foil and bake for about 45 minutes at 200C or 400F.
- Time to make the mashed potatoes. Add about 100g (3.5oz) of butter, milk, salt to taste and mix everything with a hand mixer. Add milk in batches, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Remove the foil after 45 minutes and broil the pork chops for 10-15 minutes so the cheese melts.
- Serve the pork chops on a based from mashed potatoes and don't forger to add some of those delicious drippings from the sheet pan.