Chicken breasts can be cooked in 100s of ways, it’s likely one of the most versatile meat types out there and I’m pretty sure you have your own favorite ways of preparing them. Lately, I’ve been cooking stuffed chicken breasts a lot and I have to say I really loved the extra flavors that the stuffing added.
Chicken breasts are very lean, which means the flavor isn’t that intensive and that’s exactly what a flavorful stuffing can fix. The options are really wide, you can use almost anything to stuff your chicken breasts with. Vegetables, ham, various cheese types, bacon… anything you like just add it.
Today, I’d like to show you one of my ways of preparing stuffed chicken breasts. The recipe is very easy to follow and doesn’t require any exotic or hard to get ingredients.
When cooking stuffed chicken breasts, you have two ways of doing it. First one is to start by searing the already stuffed breast on a pan or skillet, then finishing it in the oven. The other way skips the searing and all the magic happens in the oven.
The 1st way is better when you want to make sure all the stuffing (or majority of it) remains inside of the breasts. The 2nd way requires a longer baking time, which means the stuffing will melt more, some of it will leak from the breast and the meat itself will release more juices too. This is not a bad thing though as the leaked stuffing and meat juices will combine into a delicious sauce that you can serve along with the stuffed chicken breasts. This works well when you plan to serve the breasts with rice, for example.
I decided to go with the second approach, as you can see in the video or photos below. I chose my Simple Oven Baked Potatoes as the side and a delicious Creamy Mushroom Sauce to make the meal complete. So let’s dive into it and cook something good together 🙂
Easy Stuffed Chicken Breasts Ingredients :
4 chicken breasts
1 cup of baby spinach
4 slices of mozzarella
4 slices of bacon
100g (3.5oz) Feta cheese
100g (3.5oz) cream cheese
3 tablespoons diced sun dried tomatoes
salt to taste
pepper to taste
How To Make These Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
1. Start by preparing the chicken breasts stuffing. Slice the spinach and mix it with feta and cream cheese in a bowl. Add the sundried tomatoes and mix to combine properly. Feta is usually quite salty, so do not add any more salt at this point. You might add a bit of black pepper if you wish.
2. Cut a pocket into each breast, make sure you don’t cut all the way through. The bigger breasts you can get, the better. It’s easier to cut a big pocket into a large breast and you can also use more of that delicious stuffing. I wasn’t lucky when shopping today and had to use quite small ones, so the stuffing didn’t hold inside that well. Lesson learned 🙂
3. Properly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, both the inside and outside. Add some olive oil and use your hands to spread the oil and seasonings evenly.
4. Now it’s time to stuff the chicken breasts. Start with a slice of mozzarella, then bacon and finish it with 2-3 teaspoons of the stuffing mix. Use the spoon to push the stuffing as deep as possible.
5. Place the stuffed chicken breasts into a deep baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius (400F) and bake for about 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and keep baking until the breasts turn golden brown at the top. This should take an additional 15-20 minutes in the oven. Keep in mind that overcooked chicken breasts tend to be dry, so do not push the limits.
7. We are done, the color looks great and we have lots of delicious sauce to pour over the meat or the side of choice.
8. These stuffed chicken breasts go really well with rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. You can use the sauce from the baking dish or cook a different one. I served these with simple baked potatoes and my beloved mushroom sauce. Enjoy!
Optional Tips And Modifications
- You don’t have to slice the spinach leaves, feel free to leave them in tact.
- Feel free to experiment with the stuffing too. Sliced bell peppers, zucchini, garlic, prosciutto, chili… whatever you like, use it!
- Since there is plenty of sauce left in the baking dish, you can use pasta or rice as the side.
- Want to make sure all the stuffing stays inside? Wrap the breasts in bacon. In this case, it’s better to roast/sear the breasts on a pan first, to make the bacon at least somewhat crispy.
Easy Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Potatoes And Mushroom Gravy
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices of mozzarella
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 100 g Feta cheese
- 100 g cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons diced sun dried tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Start by preparing the chicken breasts stuffing. Slice the spinach and mix it with Feta and cream cheese and diced sun dried tomatoes.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Cut as deep as possible without cutting through the breast.
- Season with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Stuff the chicken breasts with mozzarella, bacon and the stuffing mix.
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius (400F).
- Bake in a deep baking dish, covered with aluminum foil.
- Remove the foil after 20 minutes and keep baking until the breasts turn golden brown on top. This should take about 15-20 more minutes.