Marinated chicken wings prepared on the grill is quite a classic party food. It’s one of the easiest dishes you can make on the grill and takes just about 20 minutes (plus the marinating time) to cook. You can serve these grilled chicken wings just with bread or with a side of grilled potatoes, which is the option I’m going for today. Adding some sauces is a great idea, I’m going with a classic barbeque and tartar sauce. If you want to kick it up a notch, prepare some salad as well… my Coleslaw with apples and bacon would be a great fit.
Grilled Marinated Chicken Wings Ingredients:
Base (serves 4-5 person):
1kg (2lb) chicken wings
1kg (2lb) yellow potatoes
Chicken Wings Marinade
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon red paprika
1 teaspoon crushed caraway
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon thyme, rosemary or both
2 tablespoons mild mustard
1.5 teaspoons salt
½ cup of beer
How To Make Grilled Chicken Wings:
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
The first thing we need to do is to prepare the chicken wings marinade, by simply mixing all the ingredients in a larger bowl. Start with 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil. About the same amount of soy sauce. 1 tablespoon of red paprika. 1 teaspoon of crushed caraway seeds. 1 teaspoon of black pepper. 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. 1 teaspoon of dried thyme or rosemary. 2 tablespoons of mild yellow mustard. 1 and a half teaspoon of salt and half a cup of beer. Whisk everything up to make sure the salt dissolves and all spices combine.
Prepare the chicken wings now. First remove the tips as there is pretty much no meat on those. It’s also easier to grill the wings with the tip removed as they sit on the rack evenly. Then divide the remaining parts in 2 pieces by cutting through the joint. This way the wings will be easier to eat and will finish cooking a bit earlier.
Place all the wings into the bowl where our marinade is and properly mix it up. Make sure every piece is properly coated. Now put the chicken wings in the fridge and let them marinate for at least 30 minutes, but really, the longer you let the chicken wings marinate the better… even overnight if you have the time.
As I mentioned, I’m about to grill some potatoes to serve as the side with the grilled chicken wings. I have pre-boiled about 1 kilo, which is roughly 2 pounds of yellow potatoes. This way, the potatoes will be finished on the grill way quicker.
The potatoes were quite small so I’ve just cut them into halves. We need to season the potatoes too, of course. First brush them with some olive oil. Next comes a bit of salt and finish it up with a nice touch of pepper.
I have fired up the charcoal in the meantime, so we can start grilling. Place the potatoes on the rack, skin side up. And now the chicken wings, nicely add them on the grill one by one. About 5 minutes later, it’s time to flip all the pieces.
Both the chicken wings and potatoes need about 20 minutes to cook fully and I like to divide this time into 4 blocks of 5 minutes each. To put it simply, start grilling and wait 5 minutes, then flip all the pieces. Wait 5 minutes and flip again. Repeat this process until both sides have been grilling for 10 minutes.
NOTE: It might take a bit less or more than 20 minutes, based on how hot your grill is. This can get a bit tricky when using a charcoal grill, because the heat depends on the thickness of the coal layer and type. If unsure, just grab one of the grilled chicken wings and give it a try. The meat will go off the bone easily, when done.
Once our marinated chicken wings and potatoes are nicely grilled and lightly charred, take them off the grill and place them on a plate or into a bowl.
And now it’s time to serve. I’m obsessed with tartar sauce, so I’ve added a good amount and obviously, some BBQ sauce is a must as well. But free to use any sauce that you like of course… Maybe try my easy mushroom sauce too 🙂
And that’s it for today, I hope you liked this grilled chicken wings recipe. Please follow my blog or youtube channel for more simple and tasty recipes, just like this one. See you next time.
Marinated Grilled Chicken Wings – Optional Tips
- I’m using 2 modifications for this barbeque marinade often… adding chilli flakes or sauce and/or adding some honey or sugar. When adding the sweet elements, pay more attention to the grilling part as the sugar will caramelize and turn almost black quickly, which could make the wings look burned.
- You can use the same marinade for basically any meat you are about to grill or bake. It’s very versatile and decent in taste so it’s not gonna suppress the flavors of the meat.
- Oranizing a large party or gathering? You can pre-bake the marinated chicken wings in advance. Give them 25 minutes in the oven at 180C or 350F on a sheet covered with foil. Then just sear them on a very hot grill 3-5 minutes per side.
- Want to make your wings more crispy? Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch or rice flour into the marinade.
More Ideas For The Grill
- Pork tenderloin steaks made on the grill with a side of potatoes and mushroom sauce.
- Easy grilled gyros made from chicken thighs
- Did you now you can even prepare a pie on the grill? Try this Cherry Pandowdy from Jere.
- This Grilled corn on the cob in foil from Sherry is a fun dish to try on your next BBQ party.
Marinated Chicken Wings On The Grill
Base (serves 4-5 person)
- Base serves 4-5 person:
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 kg yellow potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed caraway
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme / rosemary or both
- 2 tablespoons mild mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup of beer
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients listed above. Whisk it up properly, to make sure the salt dissolves completely and all spices combine.
- Remove the tips from the chicking wings and divide the remaining parts into 2 pieces by cutting through the joint.
- Place the chicken wings into the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The longer you marinate, the better the taste will be.
- Pre-boil the potatoes and let them cool. Cut into halves and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Time to grill. Place the potatoes skin side up, then add the chicken wings too.
- We need about 20 minutes to grill both the potatoes and chicken wings. Flip every 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and wings are lightly charred it’s time to take them off the grill.
- Serve with a sauce or dip of choice. I went with tartar and barbeque sauce.