Sometimes I don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen, I’m pretty sure you know the feeling, right? That’s why I love dishes where the “main and side” cooks at the same time, such as these sheet pan chicken drumsticks with potatoes and veggies.
This recipe is very easy and totally forgiving, it’s really hard to mess it up. Basically, you just throw all the ingredients on a sheet pan and then wait for them to bake in the oven. Chicken drumsticks are the perfect choice, potatoes just as well… and any vegetables you like, will make this dish complete.
I’m also adding a bit of heavy cream, which will transfer into a delicious sauce as it blends with the drippings from the chicken meat. Plus a bit of Parmigiano that I sprinkle at the top, just a few minutes before the drumsticks are fully cooked.
Simple, flavorful, everyone loves this 🙂 Let’s start cooking!
Sheet Pan Chicken Ingredients:
8-10 chicken drumsticks
1kg (2 lbs) potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
Veggies of choice, I’ve used:
2 bell peppers
2 red onions
2 cloves garlic
1 apple (not a vegetable I know:)
1 cup broccoli
1 tsp crushed/ground caraway
2 tsp BBQ seasoning
1 tsp red paprika
salt & pepper
How To Make Sheet Pan Chicken Drumsticks
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
I have many more videos on my Youtube Channel, please subscribe to get notified when I upload a new one!
1. Start by seasoning the chicken drumsticks. Put the meat in a bigger bowl and add olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of caraway, 2 tsp of BBQ seasoning and 1 tsp of red paprika. The BBQ mix I’m using contains garlic and onion powder, black pepper and paprika. I’m pretty sure you have your favorite seasoning mix so feel free to use that one.
2. Now it’s time to get dirty, use your hands to properly season every bit of the chicken drumsticks. You can also use a spoon or spatula, but honestly, it works better with your hands.
3. Place the seasoned drumsticks into the center of a sheet pan, you can sprinkle some olive oil underneath. The potatoes and vegetables will go to the sides, I like to keep it this way for easier serving.
4. Cut the vegetables into chunks, no need to cut finely, larger pieces are fine. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Give it a good mix so the flavors distribute evenly. Place veggies on one side of the pan, next to the chicken drumsticks. Any vegetables that don’t cook too fast are great for this sheet pan chicken recipe, feel free to experiment.
5. Cut potatoes into same sized wedges, season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix properly and off to the sheet pan with them. Pour approximately one cup of heavy cream over the chicken drumsticks, potatoes and veggies.
6. Cover the sheet pan with foil and start baking, the first phase will take 30 minutes at 200C (400F). This way the chicken meat will stay more juicy and tender. Once 30 minutes have passed, remove the foil and keep baking for 20-30 more minutes or until the meat is fully cooked and tender.
7. The final step is to sprinkle some grated Parmigiano cheese at the top. This step is optional, but I like the extra kick of flavor that this provides. It creates a thin cheesy crust that just tastes great. Broil for about 5 minutes and we are done.
8. I use some chopped chives for garnish as you can see in the photo or video. The green color simply makes it look prettier 🙂 Don’t forget to use the sauce from the pan, it would be a waste! The heavy cream combined with the drippings and tastes just great, pour it over the chicken drumsticks and potatoes. Our sheet pan chicken drumsticks are ready, it’s time to eat.
- Chicken drumsticks work great for this dish, but you can use thighs or whole legs too.
- Not happy about my choice of veggies? Use whatever you prefer! Any type that doesn’t cook too fast works great. Celery, shallots, mushrooms…
- Don’t like heavy cream? Skip it and just add a cup of water or broth/stock instead.
- Want to skip the potatoes? That’s an option too, just use more veggies and serve the drumsticks with a side of rice.
- Some salad would go great with this dish, a simple coleslaw maybe?
One Sheet Pan Chicken Drumsticks With Potatoes And Veggies
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
Vegetables I used
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 carrots
- 2 red onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 apple
- 1 cup broccoli
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp crushed/ground caraway
- 2 tsp BBQ seasoning
- 1 tsp red paprika
- Start by seasoning the chicken drumsticks. Put the meat in a bigger bowl and add olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of caraway, 2 tsp of BBQ seasoning and 1 tsp of red paprika.
- Place the seasoned drumsticks into the center of a sheet pan, you can sprinkle some olive oil underneath.
- Cut the vegetables into chunks. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place veggies on one side of the pan, next to the chicken drumsticks.
- Cut potatoes into same sized wedges, season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Please them on the other side of the sheet pan.
- Pour approximately one cup of heavy whipping cream over the sheet pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 200C (400F), then remove the foil and bake for 20-30 more minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Sprinkle some Parmigiano over the top. Broil for approximately 5 minutes.
- When serving, make sure you take good use of the sauce that formed in the sheet pan.