While shooting the last video recipe for my blog, namely these Baked chicken thighs with onion gravy, my son came along and wanted to help me out. So I thought, what could he prepare on his own without any help from my side?
As I wanted him to prepare something we could actually use for the recipe I was working on, we chose a simple coleslaw salad that would go well with the thighs. To make it at least a bit different from the very classic, we opted in for a version that had apples and crispy bacon bits in it.
And here is the result! I ended up helping him to slice the cabbage as I didn’t want to put his little fingers at risk. But he did all the rest himself. I’m a proud daddy 🙂
This simple coleslaw requires just a few ingredients.
1 half of a medium sized cabbage
6 slices of bacon
150g (3/4 cup) sour cream
150g (3/4 cup) mayo
juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper to taste
How to prepare this coleslaw salad
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
Start by slicing the cabbage finely. Some people prefer a thicker cut, so if that’s your thing, feel free to go for larger chunks. Peel the carrots and shred them on a grater. Cut the apples into small pieces, we left the skin on, but you can totally remove it.
Fry the bacon until crispy, then cut it into small bits. We used just 6 slices of bacon, but you can definitely use more. Or skip it entirely, but we really love the taste of bacon in this coleslaw salad.
Now it’s time to mix everything together. Use a large bowl to make the mixing easier and your kitchen desk cleaner 🙂 Don’t forget to add a pinch of salt and some fresh black pepper. Give it a few minutes, you want the mayo and sour cream distributed evenly!
This simple coleslaw salad goes well with any meat based dish, it’s pretty much the perfect side. And anytime we have some left, my wife would finish it, instead of having a full dinner 🙂
Optional tips for this simple coleslaw salad:
- Don’t like mayo? Skip it and double the sour cream.
- No lime at hand? Regular lemon works just as fine, some people even use vinegar instead. When using vinegar, pick some with mild flavor or you’re gonna ruin your coleslaw.
- Want to make the flavors more intense? Add more lime juice and mix it with a tablespoon of honey or sugar.
- Olive oil (a few tablespoons) is another ingredient you can “mix in”, go with high quality extra virgin types.
- Can’t get fresh cabbage? Feel free to use a pre-shredded veggie mix of your preference, I’m doing this sometimes too, when feeling lazy 🙂
Simple Coleslaw With Apples And Bacon
- 1 half of a medium sized cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 1 apple
- 6 slices of bacon
- 150 g sour cream
- 150 g mayo
- juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper to taste
- Finely slice the cabbage. Shred the carrots on a grater. Cut apples into small pieces.
- Fry the bacon on a pan, then cut into small bits.
- Mix everything in a big bowl, don't forget to add a touch of slat and black pepper.
- Add the juice of one lime and mix some more. Make sure the mayo and sour cream are evenly distributed.
- Simple coleslaw with apples and bacon… Done! 🙂