White pizza, does that ring a bell?
I’m sure we all love a good pizza, ain’t that true? I would also say it’s safe to assume that most of the pizza’s you ever had were made with marinara sauce. But there is also a different way. Ever heard of White pizza, where the tomato based marinara is replaced by a creamy and cheesy white sauce? Let me show you how it’s done. For the toppings, I’m using chunks of chicken, sweet corn and fresh mozzarella. Now let’s cook.
What is a white pizza?
As mentioned above, marinara or some other tomato based sauce is pretty much the standard when it comes to pizza making. But, there are people who either don’t like tomatoes or simply cannot eat those for whatever reason. And that’s how white pizza came to be.
Traditional white pizza, also called Pizza Bianca, doesn’t use any sauce at all. It’s just the pizza crust brushed with olive oil and garlic, topped with white cheeses and herbs. The white pizza I’m making does use a sauce but it’s free of any tomato content, read on to find out more.
Chicken And Corn White Pizza Ingredients
Pizza crust (click for pizza dough recipe)
150g (5oz) chicken breast
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 clove crushed garlic
3 tablespoons Pecorino or Parmigiano
200g (7oz) shredded mozzarella
1/2 ball fresh mozzarella
handful of canned sweet corn
How to make white pizza with chicken.
Watch the video or scroll down for step by step instructions:
I’m starting with the meat, so it has some time to absorb the flavors. Cut about 150 grams or 5 ounces of chicken breast into smallish bite-size chunks. Season the chicken with olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch of garlic powder. Mix everything together and let marinate for a few minutes, while we prepare the rest of the ingredients.
For the white sauce, we need 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, 3 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 clove crushed garlic and 3 tablespoons of Pecorino or Parmigiano. Whisk properly and the sauce is done.
TIP: The sauce needs to be somewhat thick, add more Pecorino or sour cream if it’s too runny.
Wondering how to make a proper homemade pizza dough?
I have a pizza dough recipe here on the blog already, along with a video, go check it out if you need some tips on how to make it.
Let’s form the pizza crust now. Put a good amount of flour on your working desk so the dough doesn’t stick and start forming the crust. Use the same flour that you used when making the pizza dough!
Use your fingers and knuckles to gently push the dough away from the center. Flip the dough and do the same from the other side. You can also rotate the dough, while using pressure to stretch it out further. Once the crust is large enough, grab a roller and roll it out thin. Try not to run over the edge, we want it to stay thicker than the center.
TIP: Explaining the process of forming a pizza crust is kind of hard, so definitely check the video above, to get a better idea about the process.
Oil a pizza pan or baking sheet with a bit of olive oil and transfer the crust to it. The oil prevents the dough from sticking to the pan. The round shape of the pan will help you make a really beautiful pizza so definitely get one if you’re making pizza frequently.
Spread the white sauce over the pizza crust now, you can be generous and make sure to create an even layer. I love the smell of oregano, so I always sprinkle the pizza base with it. You can also use fresh herbs of course.
Proceed with a generous amount of shredded low moisture mozzarella. I’m using about 200g or 7oz for one white pizza.
Add a handful of canned sweet corn. Some people also use fresh or frozen corn, but I think canned works much better.
Next come our marinated chunks of chicken breast. Spread them out evenly so there is some meat on every “triangle”.
And finish it up with fresh mozzarella that I simply tore by hand. I’m using about one half of an egg sized mozzarella ball for one white pizza. One last sprinkle of Oregano and we are ready to bake.
Preheat your oven to whatever maximum temperature it is capable of and slide the pizza in. Bake until the mozzarella chunks start to brown and the edge is golden brown and crispy. Based on the oven temperature, this can take anywhere between 10 to 20 minutes.
NOTE: Professional pizza ovens reach higher temperature than standard home ovens, that’s why a pizza bakes much faster at a restaurant.
Our white pizza is ready and I think it looks absolutely amazing. Let me slice it and check the edge, it should be crispy on the outside and filled with air pockets from the inside.
Very nice, this one turned out really great, so I guess it’s time to eat. Thanks for reading and please come back to see more of my simple recipes.
Want to try a pizza with marinara sauce? Try my Prosciutto and Jalapeno pizza recipe.
- You can replace the chicken breasts with chicken thighs or pork tenderloin, both work really well.
- Feel free to experiment with the meat seasonings. You can make it spicy, use red paprika to bring some colors into the game, add some herbs to make it fragrant…
- Are you a garlic lover? Brush the pizza crust edge with garlic oil just a few minutes before the baking is finished.
- Do you have fresh basil or rucola (rocket) at hand? Add some fresh leaves once the pizza is finished.
- White pizza is a very versatile dish, just like any other pizza and you can definitely play with the toppings. I like this combination, but feel free to adapt it to your preferences.
Chicken And Corn White Pizza
- 1 Pizza crust click for pizza dough recipe
- 150 g chicken breast
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 3 tablespoons Pecorino or Parmigiano
- dried oregano
- 200 g shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 ball fresh mozzarella
- handful of canned sweet corn
- Prepare the pizza crust. I have a homemade pizza dough recipe here on the blog, check it out if needed.
- Cut about 150g (7oz) of chicken breast into bite size chunks. Season with olive oil and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste and let marinate for a few minutes.
- Make the sauce for our white pizza by mixing heavy cream, sour cream, crushed garlic and Pecorino or Parmigiano.
- Place the formed pizza crust on a pizza pan that you oiled with olive oil to prevent the dough from sticking to it.
- Spread the white sauce on the pizza base evenly and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Add shredded mozzarella, chicken chunks, sweet corn and fresh mozzarella chunks.
- Add more oregano and we are ready to bake.
- Pre-heat your oven to max temperature and bake until the mozzarella chunks start to brown. It will take 10-20 minutes, based on the oven temperature.
- Slice your white pizza and enjoy! 🙂